Whilst we have only the Church of England Church, All Saints in the village, we are part of a the larger Osmotherley & Hillside Parishes, and close by are several places of worship for different faiths in the surrounding villages and towns.
Osmotherley has Catholic, Methodist and Quaker worship as well as St Peters, C of E.
There is also a local Parish Newsletter for this part of the Deanery covering Ingleby, East Harlsey, Ellerbeck, Osmotherley, Nether & Over Silton, Kepwick, Knayton, Borrowby, Leake, Boltby, Cowesby, Felixkirk, Kirby Knowle, Thirlby, Upsall & Sutton under Whitestonecliffe.
To find out more about All Saints, along with our other Deanery of Mowbray Church of England churches please have a look at the website. This also has Service Times for the whole deanery.
All Saints Parochial Church Council
We are privileged to have a beautiful building and everyone is very generous in supporting it and the work the church carries out. The church is there for baptisms, weddings and funerals and weekly worship. If you are new to the village, or if you have not visited the church for a while, you would be most welcome at any of the services - no need to book, just turn up!
Services are held weekly on Sundays and follow this pattern each month:
|Evening Worship at 6.30pm
|Morning Worship at 9.00am followed by coffee
|Holy Communion at 6.30pm
|Holy Communion at 9.00am
|Friday 22 September
|Harvest Festival at 6.30pm followed by Pie and Peas Supper in Village Hall (ticket needed for the supper)
|Sunday 29 October
|Holy Communion at 10.00am to celebrate All Saints
|Sunday 12 November
|Remembrance Service 9.00am at St Oswalds, East Harlsey
|Sunday 10 December
|Carol Service at 9.00am
The Parochial Church Council hosts a coffee morning in the Village Hall from 10.00am until noon on the first Saturday of every month (except January and August). Come and enjoy a chat over a cup of filter coffee with a cheese or fruit scone, bacon or sausage sandwich, plus a stall of delicious home baking and a tombola.
Pie and Peas Supper
A Pie and Peas Supper will be held in the Village Hall after the Harvest Service on Friday 22 September when the annual prize raffle will be drawn. Raffle tickets, supper tickets and further details are available from PCC members.
History of All Saints Church
There has been a church on the site since Norman times, with the first record of a church being made in about 1170. The current church was built in1821 to replace a much earlier building on the same site. It is a Grade 2* listed building being one of the finest examples of a rural church of the Regency period. A project of restoration took place in 1952 when the ‘Mouseman’ altar rails and the furnishings and fittings of the sanctuary were renewed.
The doorway of the old church was replicated in the new church and used the original Norman Capitals. Three fragments of pre-Conquest stones were built into the tower (two) and into the vestry (one). The east window, dating from about 1370, shows the shields of Fauconberg and St Quentin, the arms of the first and second wives of Sir William Colville, and was moved from the old church into the present church.
In the 1952 restoration, specimens of 18th century Crown glass were added to the East window together with a few pieces of stained glass from Mount Grace Priory, otherwise the window is clear glazed.
Two of its most interesting features are the boxed pews and the three-tier pulpit with its ‘nodding’ stick. The most interesting antiquarian features are two Colville effigies probably representing Sir William Colville and his brother Sir Robert. They are positioned both sides of the altar and were made around the year 1300.
In 2009 extensive work was done on the church roof to bring it back into good repair part funded by grants. The main part of the church interior was repaired and redecorated in 2018. Further work is required on the church door and the vestry.
There is one modern bell in the bell tower. The church has a graveyard that is still open.